Monday, February 16, 2009

Losing Hope

As the last election was drawing near, I found myself being hopeful. I was more convinced that Barak Obama would win the election, ending eight years of what I considered the worst presidential administration in my lifetime. Bush was leaving, either way, and even McCain was better in comparison (if only slightly). But I found myself encouraged that Obama could really change the course our country was on. After Obama won, I was impressed with how quickly he assembled his cabinet, and how much he spoke about the financial crisis and other issues of the day, even though he was still months from taking office. Perhaps this guy is different from all the other politicians. Perhaps he could rise above the fray. Then I remembered the last politician I felt hopeful about...Bill Clinton.

It was not unusual for a president to abandon some campaign pledges once they get into office. But Clinton developed amnesia. He promises to cut 100,000 bureaucrat jobs and put 100,000 more police on the streets. He promised to increase funding for AIDS research. He promised a jobs program. It was not long before I realized that this guy was not the shining knight I had expected. He was a political opportunist, just like the rest of them. I could not really blame Bill any more than I could blame the guy dealing three-card monte...conning is just what they do.

My initial enthusiasm was soon replaced by cynicism. In the end, the Monica Lewinsky affair was just another bizarre chapter of a presidency that operated from polling data rather than a firm moral compass. When I heard Clinton respond, "...it depends on what your definition of 'is' is" I realized the full depth of my gullibility. I was ashamed that I had once allowed myself to be enthralled with this self-serving, weasel. Rather than admit he screwed up and move on, his ego allowed the country to get mired in the shit. And I had actually admired the guy once - what a fool I was.

No presidential candidate from Clinton on pierced the armor of my cynicism for the next 12 years. They all sounded the same. And any that seemed like they might actually have something to offer turned out to be just another vote whore once you got to know them. Then came Obama.

Obama always caught my eye because he taught at my Alma Mater, The University of Chicago, one of the top ten universities in the world. He was thoughtful and articulate. He was consistent with his message and his positions. And the idea of a black man being elected president would say so much about how far we have come as a people that I got excited despite myself. Yes we can, and all that.

But the moment of excitement is over. He is no longer a symbol, he is an actual working president. He has been in office long enough that we can start to scrutinize his actions. And I am getting that uneasy feeling again. Obama announced new rules that lobbyists cannot join the agency they have been lobbying, then he immediately breaks that rule. He promised the troops would leave Iraq within 18 months and that date has already slipped to 24 months. And despite the lack of Republican cooperation, I think he could have done a lot more to create bipartisan cooperation. I sure hope I didn't fall for another smooth talking campaigner. I would only have myself to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment